Apple Frangipane Tart Video & Recipe
Watch our head baker, Danielle, assemble this beautiful and rustic French tart, and learn a new baking technique to try at home. Following the classic recipe we feature Frangipane, a sweet almond creme, and tart Granny Smith apples. A more detailed recipe follows the video.!
Apple Frangipane Tart Recipe(Makes one 9 inch tart)
Sweet Pastry Shell:
Butter, room temperature 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 cup
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Whole eggs, room temperature 2
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
All purpose flour 3 ½ cups
2. Add one egg, mix until smooth. Add the second egg and the vanilla and mix until completely smooth.
3. Stir in the flour, mix until just incorporated.
4. Place dough on table and knead until smooth.
5. Shape the dough into a disk one inch thick and wrap in plastic; chill for at least 2 hours.
6. Cut a piece of waxed paper the size of your tart pan. Spray the pan with non-stick coating and line the pan with the paper.
7. Roll the dough into a disk 1/4 inch thick. Cut a circle 2 inches larger than your pan and place inside, pressing the dough into the shell gently. Chill the tart shell for at least 30 minutes.
8. Fill your tart shell with pie beans and bake at 350 degrees until the edges begin to turn golden brown. Estimated time: about 15 minutes.
9. Remove pie beans.
Almond Frangipane Creme:
Butter, soft 1 cup + 2 tablespoons
Almond flour 2 ¾ cup
Powdered sugar 2 ½ cup
Flour 1/3 cup
Rum, or Orange Juice ¼ cup
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
1. Sift together the almond flour, powdered sugar, and flour. Set aside.
2. Work the butter with a wooden spoon or in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment until very light and fluffy.
3. Add the sifted dry mixture and mix until combined and smooth.
4. Add the eggs into the mix, in three parts. Mix until smooth.
5. Mix in the rum or orange juice and vanilla extract.
6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, 1 hour or up to a week.
Granny smith apples 2
Butter, melted 2 tablespoons
Sugar 2 tablespoons
1. Peel, core and slice apples to about 1/8 inch thick.
2. Line the tart shell with a layer of frangipane halfway up the depth of the shell.
3. Arrange apple slices in concentric circles, overlapping slightly as the apples will shrink while baking.
4. Brush the apple slices with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the apples are golden.
6. Let cool completely before removing tart from its baking shell.
Apricot jam ¼ cup
Water 1 tablespoon
1. Heat jam and water until boiling, then strain any fruit bits from the glaze.
2. Using a pastry brush, coat the apple slices with the glaze. Reheat the glaze if it begins to thicken.
3. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.