In this how-to video Lisa Belt (Lovejoy’s queen bee) and her darling twin boys whip up a Brioche & Pecan Bread Pudding that’s quick, easy, and worthy of royalty. Absolutely scrumptious with a dollop of fresh whipped cream!
2 tablespoons of butter, melted, plus some to grease the pan
1 loaf of Lovejoy Bakers brioche, cubed
1 cup pecans
4 cups half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly grated nutmeg
Grease a large baking dish, and put the cubed brioche in it. Sprinkle with whole pecans.
Whisk together the rest of the ingredients including the half-and-half, milk, eggs, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
Next, pour the mixture over the bread. Push the bread cubes down to make sure they absorb the liquid. Let the pudding sit for 1 hour or so.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and pour the melted butter over the top. Bake for 50 minutes, or until set. Serve warm from the oven with some fresh whipped cream!
Watch our head baker, Danielle, assemble this beautiful and rustic French tart, and learn a new baking technique to try at home. Following the classic recipe we feature Frangipane, a sweet almond creme, and tart Granny Smith apples. A more detailed recipe follows the video.
Those of you who would like to have us handle the baking for you, this tart is also available for Pre-order here >
Apple Frangipane Tart Recipe(Makes one 9 inch tart)
Sweet Pastry Shell:
Butter, room temperature 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 cup
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Whole eggs, room temperature 2
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
All purpose flour 3 ½ cups
1. Combine the butter, sugar, and salt with a wooden spoon and mix until smooth.
2. Add one egg, mix until smooth. Add the second egg and the vanilla and mix until completely smooth.
3. Stir in the flour, mix until just incorporated.
4. Place dough on table and knead until smooth.
5. Shape the dough into a disk one inch thick and wrap in plastic; chill for at least 2 hours.
6. Cut a piece of waxed paper the size of your tart pan. Spray the pan with non-stick coating and line the pan with the paper.
7. Roll the dough into a disk 1/4 inch thick. Cut a circle 2 inches larger than your pan and place inside, pressing the dough into the shell gently. Chill the tart shell for at least 30 minutes.
8. Fill your tart shell with pie beans and bake at 350 degrees until the edges begin to turn golden brown. Estimated time: about 15 minutes.
9. Remove pie beans.
Almond Frangipane Creme:
Butter, soft 1 cup + 2 tablespoons
Almond flour 2 ¾ cup
Powdered sugar 2 ½ cup
Flour 1/3 cup
Rum, or Orange Juice ¼ cup
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
1. Sift together the almond flour, powdered sugar, and flour. Set aside.
2. Work the butter with a wooden spoon or in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment until very light and fluffy.
3. Add the sifted dry mixture and mix until combined and smooth.
4. Add the eggs into the mix, in three parts. Mix until smooth.
5. Mix in the rum or orange juice and vanilla extract.
6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, 1 hour or up to a week.
Granny smith apples 2
Butter, melted 2 tablespoons
Sugar 2 tablespoons
1. Peel, core and slice apples to about 1/8 inch thick.
2. Line the tart shell with a layer of frangipane halfway up the depth of the shell.
3. Arrange apple slices in concentric circles, overlapping slightly as the apples will shrink while baking.
4. Brush the apple slices with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the apples are golden.
6. Let cool completely before removing tart from its baking shell.
Apricot jam ¼ cup
Water 1 tablespoon
1. Heat jam and water until boiling, then strain any fruit bits from the glaze.
2. Using a pastry brush, coat the apple slices with the glaze. Reheat the glaze if it begins to thicken.
3. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Place your Valentine’s Day pre-order by this Wednesday at noon, for Friday pickup!
Get those orders in now! Click Here. If you’d like to place a holiday pre-order for pick-up on Christmas Eve place your order by Friday, Dec 20th at Midnight! Reading this too late? Don’t worry, we’ll have extra pies, tarts, breads, cookie boxes, etc… at the bakery that day, but get there early, we close on Christmas Eve at 3pm. Have a marvelous holiday season!
The holidays are here! Let us help you make EVERYTHING easier! Treat your friends and family by bringing them an extra special sweet. We make it easy with on-line ordering.
Lovejoy Bakers On-Line Ordering
Click on the link above to place your order for one of our delicious holiday desserts. Not only do we have Lovejoy staples like our lovely Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie, we also have oodles of season specific goodness. We are featuring our luxurious Buche de Noel, fruity Panettone, lush Chocolate Cinnamon Babka and adorable Christmas Cookie Gift Boxes.
Need a quick and easy hostess/host gift? Why not pick up a handful of our house made miniature bread ornaments! Perfect for all the foodies in your life, only $5 each!. Please note, we require 72 hours notice prior to pickup for pre-orders.
Have a BEAUTIFUL Holiday Season-
P.S. We’ll also be selling our individual Christmas Cookies in store. They are the PERFECT treat for YOURSELF after a long day of shopping (or a lazy day by the fire).
It’s that time again!
PRE-ORDER THANKSGIVING GOODIES, CLICK HERE
For Wednesday November 27th pick-up, all orders must be placed by NOON on Sunday, the 24th. For Thanksgiving Day pick-up, all orders must be placed by NOON on Monday, the 25th. Please note, we will CLOSE at 3pm on Thanksgiving Day.
We hope your holidays are off to an AMAZING start. We are so GRATEFUL for all of our wonderful customers.
–Love, the Lovejoy Bakers and Staff.
Throw on a cozy sweater and stroll over to Lovejoy to pamper yourself with some of our favorite fall treats. Feeling decadent? Try a slice of our Salted Caramel-covered Pumpkin Roll. Inside is a fluffy pumpkin sponge cake swirled around a heavenly cream cheese filling. Outside is a dusting of candied pumpkin seeds and pecans, wedged into a generous drizzle of Salted Caramel sauce. If one slice isn’t enough, you can buy the whole roll too!
And if you want to catch some rays before the big bright ball disappears for the winter, sit outside with a cup of our Autumn-spiced Latte. Spiked with notes of cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, we also kick it up with caramel and pumpkin spice syrup. Every sip will wrap you up in the warm fuzzies.
Beginning October 25th our Halloween cookies will be ready to haunt your cookie jar (if they make it that far before you’re “gobblin'” it up: ha, see what we just did there?). Stop by to stock up on the 25th!
We’ll see you soon.
Quickly becoming a “take-home” favorite, Lovejoy’s beautiful hamburger and hotdog buns are the PERFECT way to elevate your 4th of July celebration. Delicate enough to host a simple egg salad, but still hearty enough to support a big juicy burger or brat, these light and buttery breads have a perfectly moist, rich consistency that will make your cookout truly special. We offer them at our Lovejoy West location, 939 NW 10th Avenue. They are also available at the following fine establishments:
Whole Foods: Pearl, Bridgeport, Sandy, Fremont, Burnside
Zupans: Belmont, Macadam, Boones Ferry, Burnside