Make Lovejoy Chili at home or not
If you haven’t tried this yet, you OWE it to yourself (especially on a rainy day) to enjoy a bowl of Josh’s chili, made exclusively for Lovejoy Bakers. Getting Josh to part with the recipe was no small feat, but here it is for those who want to make a big batch at home.
Josh’s Chili Con Carne with Sweet Corn Aji Amarillo
For the Chili
1 lb. Painted Hills ground beef
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
I cup yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 lb. Roma tomatoes, rough chopped with juice
2 cups canned black beans, drained
3 Tbs. garlic, minced
1/2 Tbs. onion powder
1 Tbs. dark chili powder
1 Tbs. ground cumin
salt/pepper, to taste
1. Heat a large pot on medium high heat with oil. Brown the ground beef, drain, reserve 1/4 cup of drippings, set beef aside.
2. Put reserved drippings back into the pot. Turn heat to high and add peppers, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and jalapeno. Saute until soft and slightly caramelized.
3. Toss in remaining ingredients and beef. Cover pot, turn heat to low, and stew for 3 hours. Stir occasionally and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
For the Sweet Corn Aji Amarillo
1/2 cup softened cream cheese
1/2 cup cooked corn
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 Tbs. dried Amarillo Chile Powder (probably available at Whole Foods, New Seasons, etc.)
salt/pepper to taste
1 chopped scallion (for garnish)
1. Place all ingredients, except for corn and scallions, in Food Processor. Puree until smooth.
2. Remove blade and fold in corn.
3. Add a generous spoonful to chili before serving. Garnish with chopped scallions.